Saturday, June 30, 2007

Feel the Anticipation!

Day 110, 2340 grams

My last full day in the NICU. Wow. It's been a while, huh? There were lots of tears as we said goodbye to some of my nurses for the last time. But it's only goodbye as a patient! I'll still come by and visit, of course! I had some special time with auntie Val, who was the first nurse to ever take care of me. She basically kidnapped me and had mommy chasing her all over the NICU! Then at the 11:30 shift change, my nurse Mary, who was starting a second shift (what a trooper), very graciously traded me like a hockey card to auntie Jocelyn so that she could look after me on my last night. Me and J go wayyyy back.

















Earlier in the day mommy and daddy out some last minute touches on the house in preparation for my arrival. They've been talking about my room for some time now, and so it's only fair to show you some pictures that they took:

First of all here's my backup milk supply. Yep, that's a freezer full of milk. Talk about production! Oma and Opa got this handy unit especially for me. I can't wait until it's full of ice cream!
Although I have a super cool room, for my first few weeks I'll be sleeping with mom and dad in this cozy little sleeper. It features a slightly angled surface, vented side panels and a built-in night light. Very sleek.

And now... on to my pad!
Here's my change table and a bit of my bookshelf. I already have all the Curious Georges and Winnie the Poohs, a bunch of Dr. Seuss and some Disney books, too. I mostly want to chew on the corners for now.
This is where mom and dad can sit, kick their feet up and FEED ME. Notice my awesome dragon curtains. Yeah, dragons rock.
Here's my crib! Classic Pooh bed ensemble and mobile is thanks to aunt Katica. Very cute! Behind it is my totally sweet wall of circles. I love circles. The best part is that they're movable. Stuck on the wall with Velcro, you see. Here's another view:

Notice the little sliver oval? That is my baby monitor video camera. Instead of just being able to hear me, my parents can also see me on a hand-held colour screen, and at night it switches automatically to night-vision. I cannot get over the coolness of this thing! Thanks to uncle Brad in Toronto for this piece of high tech baby gear.

So that's how I'll be living for my first few years.

Now it's off to sleep in preparation for my big day tomorrow. I hope to see a lot of you at my house!


AOV

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pad is pretty awesome Andrej. Congratulations...you have worked very hard to get to this day. I wish you and your family all the best and many many Blessings. I am so thankful for the day that I first met you and your family. May God continue to shower his blessings!

p.s. Think I could get your decorators' number?...those dragons do rock!

Yolande

Anonymous said...

My sweet Coconut!

Even though I didn't take much care of you after your birth, I got to talk a lot with your mum and dad and I will miss the 3 of you terribly. I'm sorry I won't be able to attend your party tomorrow, but I need to get some sleep in order to be ready for yet another night at work, taking care of the friends you're gonna leave behind.

You are one special boy to me Andrej and I will keep a special place in my heart for you and Oliver. Even though I tried not to, I fell in love with you, my little man! Hopefully, you'll remember me whenever you smell coconut!

Sandra and Paul, I hope that you'll regain somewhat of a normal life from now on although I realise that your life is now changed forever. I thank you for the mochaccinos, the blind date, the laughters and the tears (they were good ones) and I truly hope we'll keep in touch.

Andrej's departure marks a milestone in his life, but also one in mine I find myself facing new challenges in a few days.

Once again, take care and I will miss you all so very much.

Auntie Val Xxo

Anonymous said...

Dear Sweet Andrej,

Finally, the day has come!! You are sooo sweet!

I wish you, your mom and dad all the best when you leave here. May they clean lots of poopy diapers, yeah!

You may wonder what I am doing up at this hour? I could not sleep and went straight to the computer to see what you had to say. I better get back to sleep, I do have to be at work in a few hours.

See you later for a big hug and kiss before you leave.

Always thinking of you and your family,
love BubZ

Anonymous said...

Hello my friend!
I do not know if you remember me... It's Etienne Chevalier. We met in the NICU. My crib was very close to yours. My mommy found out about your blog a couple of days ago. I wanted to congradulate you on your big day. You have been through a lot and became very strong. Your mommy and daddy must be very proud of you. Today, a great new adventure is starting for you. You will see my friend, it's the BEST one!!! Enjoy your new life with your mommy and daddy and take very good care of yourself. If you want, we can stay in touch. Here is the email adress my daddy made for me: etiennechevalier@videotron.ca I hope to hear from you very soon.

Your friend,

Étienne

Kayko Driedger Hesslein said...

Cry, cry, cry, cry! That's me reading your blog - I'm so happy for you!!!!!!

Ceci said...

Sandra, Paul and Andrej:

Like Kayko, I too am teary eyed. You have come such a long way since March 12th (btw, my bday is March 13th, so Andrej and I can celebrate together next year ;-) ).

Although I haven't taken care of Andrej much, I feel like you guys have become part of my NICU family. I will not forget you, or your KMC sessions (and the Jedi outfit), his family nap, the first time he breastfed his full feed (and the "auntie happy dance"), his coming off the respirator, getting off the oxygen, then being put in a crib (what a step that was! And mommy's face was priceless!). And let's not forget the hours of fun we had with mommy when she stayed overnight or criticized my mobile ...

I wish I could go see you today as you leave the Prem for the last time, but unfortunatly, I had prior engagements :-(

Please keep in touch and I promise I'll do the same. You have become more than just parents to me (as you have with many other people on the unit...)

Love
Cecilia
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

PS: Happy Andrej/Canada Day ;)

Anonymous said...

KRAJ,
END..
POCETAK...
NEW ADVETURE..
SRETAN DOLAZAK KUCI, MILI MOJ!!!
WELCOME HOME, MY DEARES ANDREJ!!!
VOLE TE PUNO TETA MELI I MLADEN
LOVE YOU AUNTIE MELI AND MLADEN

Anonymous said...

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

I am SO happy for you!! Finally all your hard work has paid off!

I wish I could be there for your home coming today to see your cute little face in person and to see the excitement on your mom and dad's faces. You all deserve this moment more than anything!

Enjoy your new home with your mommy and daddy! (who did an amazing job on your room by the way...sweet digs dude!)

Lots of Love from Argentina

Aunt Be

Anonymous said...

Well, well! As it turns out, they are calling for fire works and parades south of the border on this grand occasion of your homecoming as well. They started on Saturday night, Booom, Bang, Whizz Zing!! Or was that your diaper filling up again?!? And it contiues every night, culminating on the 4th. We have a special song we sing down here in your honor (not to be outdone by Aunt Cheryl). Your Dad will know the tune and could sing it to you. He has heard it often enough at the Olympic. (Ha, Ha!!) Its usually done with a brass band--lots of drums and majorettes, that sort of thing. Goes like this:
Oh say can you see?
From the NICU,
As the nurses all wave,
their farewells to our Andrej.
Who's broad smile and bright eyes,
In his parents' strong arms,
O'er the city they drive,
with their tears freely streaming.
As the family had prayed,
He would burst from that place,
Gave proof the night,
That our God is still strong.
Andrej is that super star baby that we honor.
For the battle he has won,
And the home filled with joy.
(Play Ball!!)
I hope you keep the news coming.
Welcome home, Little Fighter!
Aunt Marcie and Uncle Roger in Boston