Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Nifty, Nifty, Look Who's 50!

DAY 50!!! 1100ish grams.

Another good, stable day today. My feeds are now bumped up to 17mL every 3 hours and I am loving it (ie, digesting it, in nurse lingo). If I continue like this, I will soon be off the intravenous foods and strictly on the Maternal Milk Machine.

I had a eye exam today, and everything went well. My eyes appear to be healthy and I'm responding to "visual stimuli." Now I just have to wait another 16 years and I can get my learner's permit.

Daddy was looking a little mad when he came in today. Ah yes, it must have been another adventure with the geniuses at the blood donor clinic. He arrived 20 minutes early for an 11:30 appointment and ended up waiting for an hour before they took his blood. Don't they realize that I need that stuff? I need transfusions from dad whenever my hemoglobin or platelets need a boost. Good thing he's in peak physical condition--a very model of male perfection. Yeah, I don't buy it either. I saw you plow through those Timbits, dad!

Mommy and I had a nice kangaroo session in the evening, and afterward I got a bath. Apparently I reek. Oh well. Until they install a mini shower in here I can't be blamed for a little
preemie funk. I must say that Nurse Emilie is very patient with me. Every time she would go across the room to look after another baby, I would try to get her attention by de-saturating. As soon as she comes close to check on me--oops! My saturation goes up again. I call this game "Dance Nurse, Dance!" Good times, good times. But Emilie is a good sport, so I behaved for her last hour. I even let her do my vitals without smacking her repeatedly, as is my custom. Maybe I'll mature someday, but for now, I'm just an "NICU Pranksta."

I'll NICU you all tomorrow!

AOV

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrej,

Are you slacking.... no pictures tonight? Ha Ha!

Can't wait to be back to see you on Thursday evening!

Auntie Mel xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrej,
It was great to visit with you again. I wish you were closer than 200 km so we can see you more often. But we notice your progress more on a weekly basis. You are certainly looking more handsome every week.
Too bad you can't help out yet. We are harvesting asparagus now and the strawberries, raspberries and currants are looking good. soon we will be planting cole crops, lettuce. potatoes and onions. mke sur your mommy eats all this good stuff so she can pass the benefits to you.
So keep up the good work, eat drink and be merry as you can in that high tech environment. Soon you can relax in the country.
Love Opa and Opa.