Sunday, May 6, 2007

Another Huge Step

Day 55, 1170 grams

Big big big day today. As you can see by my picture today, I no longer have a tube of ANY size shoved up my nose! Instead I am sporting what is known as a nasal cannula, which supplies my oxygen (check out the link to see how this works). The best part of this new development is that I am now officially free of the ventilator! I am doing all my own breathing, with just a little O2 boost in case I need it. I still have a few boogers to deal with, but they're much easier to clean with this new system. It also makes it much easier for mommy and the nurses to get me in and out of my incubator since I have even more freedom of movement than with the CPAP. I'm so happy not to have any thing stuck to my cheeks! I've found out that my cheeks are yet another weapon in my arsenal of cuteness--the ladies loooove me even more, now!

I'm up to 15mL of food, which is now a combination of breast milk and a special fortifying solution that provides me with a boost of calories. To be honest, my weight is a bit low for a baby my gestational age, but I'm working on it! Tomorrow I'll look into getting a little preemie gym set up in here so that I can beef up.

Mommy and I kangarooed again today, and thanks to my new comfy get-up I was much more calm and alert. I spent at least an hour just staring at her in wonder. Next time I see dad I'll let him know that I think he made the right choice. She's a really great lady. I can't wait to spend more and more time with her.

Later!

AOV

4 comments:

cecilia said...

I can't wait to see the baby gym all set up! Where are you gonna find barbells that fit your tiny hands? And an excercise bike? You'll make a killing selling your excercise video!!

But seriously, don't worry about your weight. You've had sooooo many changes in the last couple of days, it's normal to be over excited and lose some weight (it must be all that dancing and singing you're doing now that you're not intubated anymore...)

xoxox Ceci

Anonymous said...

well well i am happy to hear the news that you are no longer on a ventilator your parents must be so excited now dont rip off those stickers that hold your cannula lol!!!...now everyone gets to see how cute you always were...and cecilia is right i wanna see that gym setup :) keep up the good work and get stronger day by day
god bless!!!!!

chantal (RRT) (the one with the giant hair lol)

JayneLGH said...

Hi Paul, Sandra and Little Andrej,

Just wanted to let you know that we are keeping you in our prayer's. I hope you can bring him home soon so the rest of us can give some kisses to our special boy. You mother has been keeping us all informed, I'm gald she told me about the blog so now I can stop harrassing her. It's nice to see you are keeping your sense of humour. Andrej is lucky to have you both as parents. YOUR THE BEST


Much love to all of you
Jayne( Glennon) and the Huntley's

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrej!
It's your Aunt Becky here. I can't wait to come and see you again! You look amazing! (Also, maybe we can exchange some workout tips....ever heard of pilates? If you haven't, don't worry, I'll teach you!)
You keep adding to your arsenal of cuteness! (you little heart breaker!)
Lots of Love!