Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Feeling Better...

Day 64, 1370 grams (exactly 3 pounds!)

OK, where to start? I do have an infection and it's likely from my central line. The central line is like an IV, except that it is a really long, extremely thin tube that goes almost to my heart. It supplied me with my TPN and can usually stay in for weeks. Problem is, whenever you have a piece of plastic in your body for a long time, eventually your body will reject it. And that is when you can get an infection. So the infection, called staphylococcus, caused sepsis, pulmonary edema, leukopenia (low white blood cells), and thombocytopenia (low platelets). This led to increased apnea and bradycardia episodes. That's a lot of big words. In baby language, I got really sick from my food tube and had trouble breathing.

So the central line came out, the nurses started poking me for blood samples every three hours or so and I was put on some antibiotics, which seem to be working. At this writing I am now breathing room air, and my colour has returned to normal--yesterday I was white as a ghost. Some sure signs that I'm doing all right: I hate my CPAP tube up my nose, I wiggle around and fuss and cry when they suck out my boogers, and I peed on a nurse today. Bullseye! I still got it...

Thanks for all your words of encouragement! It meant a lot to me and my parents. I'm not out of the woods just yet, so I'll let you know if anything else major develops.

Bye!


AOV

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you are on the upswing! You will make a great doctor one day!

Love, Aunt Lisa

cecilia said...

Hey Andrej!

I just wanted to thank you and your parents for thinking of me yesterday. It was very nice :-)

See you tonight!

Ceci
xoxox

Anonymous said...

Hey little guy! I'm relieved to hear you're starting feeling better!
Keep fighting! (make Rocky proud!)

Love your Aunt Becky

Brad said...

Way to go Andrej...never stop fighting! Glad you are coming around. :)

B-

Anonymous said...

Hi my Little Pumpkin,
Glad to hear you are starting to feel better. Stay strong and be sure to rest. See you tonight.
Love Auntie Jocelyn xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hey little guy,

Glad to hear you are on the mend-hang in there and keep fighting!

Auntie mel xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey, Boston here! I heard something about Sandra being an advocate and I picture a very loud feline--like a mother tiger defending her cubs. Oh, that's a vocal CAT. But mother tiger and advocate are close. Its good that you have someone tough and tender in your court, little guy. It sounds like you have inherited some of those tiger genes.
And 3 pounds!! That's practically beefcake status.
I asked our heavenly Father to wrap his big arms around you today.
Peace all around!
Great Aunt Marcie