Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Now I Know My ABCs... and TPNs... and PDAs

Day 57, 1200 grams.

Zzzzzzzz... Oh, hey everyone. I was pretty tired today. YAWN. After all the action last night I thought I'd take it easy today and just sleep it off. Maybe with a little more rest I can focus on getting bigger and not waste all my energy on frivolous things like breathing. So while I rest, I figured it would be a good opportunity for another installment of Andrej's Lay-Baby Guide to the NICU. Today I present to you:

Andrej's Lay-Baby Guide to NICU Acronyms
Some of these you've heard of, some of these you'll be seeing for the first time.

ABG -Arterial Blood Gas
AGA -Appropriate for Gestational Age. Either refers to my weight or the movies I'm allowed to watch in my incubator.
CLD -Chronic Lung Disease.
CPAP -Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. My breathing method du jour.
ECG -Echocariogram. A test that helped to reveal my PDA.
ELBW -Extremely Low Birth Weight.
ETT -Endotracheal Tube. My old breathing method. I hope I never see that tube again!
FBM -Fortified Breast Milk. Mom's milk mixed with a powder that provides extra nutrition and calories. Does NOT come in chocolate flavour. :-(
NICU -Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
NPO -Nil Per Os -Latin for "Nothing My Mouth," or "Don't Feed That Baby."
PDA -Patent Ductus Arteriosus. That pesky heart issue I had fixed a few weeks ago.
RDS -Respiratory Distress Syndrome.
TPN -Total Parenteral Nutrition. Liquid food delivered through my IV line. As my milk goes up, my TPN goes down.

***********************************************

So there you have it, a partial list of some of the many terms one would encounter in the NICU. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed.


Good Night!


AOV

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely adorable!

Cant wait to see you tomorrow!
Ciao for now,
P.S: If you teach me some croatian, ill teach you some italian.... sounds like a plan ?!?

Auntie Mel xxx

Anonymous said...

Dear Sandra and Paul,

We are so glad to have a medium to receive some news. We have wanted to respect your privacy but have also desperately wanted you to know we were with you in spirit. Andrej seems like a gorgeous feisty little guy and we hope to meet him soon! He will be welcome at ALL piano lessons when mom returns on the job! Thinking of you. With love, Arielle Arthur Laurence and Benjamin