Friday, May 25, 2007

Lockdown!

Day 74, 1500 grams

As some of you may have read in the Montreal Gazette recently, there has been a couple of cases of VRE in the NICU. VRE is vancomycin-resistant enterococcus, a nasty bug that can really make a little guy like me really sick. Fortunately I have not tested positive for the bug, but sadly it means that I can no longer have any visitors other than mommy and daddy, not even my grandparents are allowed. So now everyone has to wear funny gowns and gloves when they come into the unit, and they had to take away all my toys and books.
But that's OK, since I'd rather the hospital take extreme measures to prevent me from getting sick. I know how upset mommy and daddy would be if I caught the bug as well, so I'm making sure that every nurse and RT that comes near me is properly dressed and cleaned. I don't care how full my diaper is, you're not coming near me without a gown and gloves!

I feel I should also shed some light on my recent weight loss. Blame it on Jenny Craig. No really, it's because I'm off the TPN, and I tend to burn calories a lot faster with my baby antics. Today was bad because I burned all my energy before mommy arrived to feed me so I really wasn't into the whole breastfeeding thing today. Way too tired. I have to start conserving my energy.

Maybe tomorrow I'll want to settle down...


AOV

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Andrej

You be sure to kick up a fuss if you see any gloveless hands coming towards you! (But I'm sure everyone is doing their best and being extra careful!)

I was planning on visiting you this week but I guess we'll have to re schedule- have your people call my people.

Keep hanging in there buddy!

In just a moment, this too shall pass...

Love Aunt Be

Ceci said...

Don't worry Andrej. We're doing our very best to make sure nothing happens to you. I'm sure you must think those people coming at you with ugly yelow gowns look odd, right? Now you can't differenciate us by our lovely tops... :-(

Don't fret about the weight either. Sometimes, it takes a while to pick back up. But like I said today, you're "Andrej the Giant" to us. Maybe you should have a temporary "lock down" of your gym also, to help you gain some weight ;)

See you tomorrow,
Ceci
xxoxox

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrej!

Yup as funny as we look in those beautiful yellow gowns, they are important ... and one of the many measures that were put in place to protect you and all the others!

About the weight- I am keeping my fingers crossed that what me and your mom discussed will soon start showing its benefits! OK, SO YOU NEED TO STICK TO THE PLAN!!!!

See you tomorrow!
auntie mel xxxx