Saturday, May 5, 2007

CPAP Rules!

Day 54, 1160 grams

Good day today. They brought my pressure down today to 6, and I'm still breathing anywhere from room air (21%) to 25% O2. I'm loving this soft plastic tube because it doesn't hurt my nose and it gives me a lot more freedom to move around. Today I kangarooed with mommy and impressed everyone with my ability to lift my head up.

At lunch today I thought I'd take a break and go down to the Children's Hospital to visit my friend Blake, but mommy and daddy wouldn't let me go. Besides, I didn't have the cab fare any way. But they went to see how he's doing down there. Blake used to be my neighbour here at my hospital, but he's got something wrong with his tummy so he had to be transferred. But we're still emailing each other on a regular basis.

My feeds are slowly increasing again. Something I forgot to mention earlier. After my little "adventure" 2 days ago, they stopped my breast milk feeds and put me back on the IV. This is supposedly standard procedure after a major change in ventilator status, but I think they were just being mean to me after I threw such a major fit. So any way, I'm up to 14mL now, and I'm learning how to be fussy when I'm hungry. Being a baby is so much fun!

Grrr... Give me what I want or else!


AOV

4 comments:

cecilia said...

Hey Andrej!
I'm so glad you're close to 21% now that you're on CPAP. Sometimes babies decrease their O2 levels on CPAP because they're more comfortable, which is obviously your case ;)

Don't be mad at the doctors who didn't want you to eat for a while. They just wanted to give you the best chance possible so that you would never have to go back on the respirator.

I'll be seing you Wednesday, when my shifts start up again. Until then, keep the blog coming ;)

Ceci
Xoxoxox

PS: that ugly hat CPAP from the other day is called Bubble CPAP, and most nurses also hate it cuz it makes the babies look funny...

Anonymous said...

HI Anddrej!
Its Kimberly! I know we didnt get to hang out a lot before I had to leave but I just wanted to let you know that I cant wait to see you in June!I always thought you were a cutie pie. You are going to look so different and I dont know if I will be able to recognize you! You are going to have at least 3 chins and plenty of rolls on your legs!
When you see Blake please tell him that I say hi! I got to hang out with him quite a bit before he went to the Childrens!
Keep writing on the blog so I can know whats going on with you because I cant be there physically!
xoxoxoxo
Kimberly
p.s. Ill bring you an iced cappucino from Tim Hortons when I come back in June! :) ( I wont be a student anymore, I'll be working as a nurse so hopefully we can hang out more!!! )

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Today, here in Portugal is a very special day: is Mother's day, so i wish you, Sandra, a very nice day, not just for you, but for all your family!!!
a big kiss,
Ana (www.nascerprematuro.org)

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrej!
That was great news for everyone at my house...You are just the cutest little baby in the world...no the universe.
Haooy Mother`s Day Sandra...in Portugal of course.
Melissa M.
Mommy`s student