Friday, April 13, 2007

Today Was Pretty Good, Too

Day 32, 960 grams

Today I had everyone a little worried because of a little game I was playing. While I slept I would slow my heart rate from about 130bpm to as low as 60bpm for a couple of seconds. The technical term for this is called bradycardia, but everyone calls them a "brady," which sort of sounds like "bratty," which is what mommy and daddy call me every time this happens. The doctors and nurses are going to keep a close eye on me, because this is not a nice game to play.

Other news was that my heart murmur has returned, and that made everyone a little sad. We thought it had gone away after I had a a bunch of medicine called "indomethecin" that made me not pee for a while. A heart murmur isn't the worse thing that can happen to me, but it can make it hard for my little lungs to heal and develop.

The best news of today was that my oxygen went to as low as 22%, my breath rate fell to 65 per minute (down from 75!) and my pressures are now 16 over 5! I don't understand any of that either! But it means I'm a few steps closer to breathing on my own--which means no more tube up my nose--which means people can see my beautiful face. Part of the reason for this success is hydrocortisone,
which belongs to a class of drugs called “corticosteroids” and is used most commonly for medical conditions that involve inflammation. I wouldn't know that if weren't for google searches and cutting and pasting. So far the only down side to taking the steroids is that I probably won't be able to complete in the Baby Olympics in the sport of my passion: modern pentathalon.

So thanks for taking the time to read today. Mommy and Daddy just left and are going to go home and wash the cool Sesame Street blankets that my cousins Luke, Ella and Maggie got me. I hope to have some pictures of me using them up very soon!

Take Care,

AOV

1 comment:

Brad said...

Hi Andrej,

Glad to hear that you are getting bigger and stronger. I hope your parents are well. Enjoyed the video!

B-