Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tribute to a Great Team

I'm Andrej: Version 4.1. What is this 4.1 you ask? Well today I hit 4.1 kilos, which is a mighty 9 pounds! As indicated by the back strain in both mommy and daddy, I am officially a big baby.

Today we had yet another family outing at the hospital. This time around it was the breast feeding clinic where mommy received the good news that her production is great and I'm growing at just the right pace.

After our appointment at the clinic, we went for a visit to the NICU, where I was finally able to complete my set of photos of the team of doctors that helped me into this world. Here they are:

Dr. Papageorgiou, the big cheese, the grand poobah, the master and commander of the whole NICU. He always remained confident that I would make it out all right, and is convinced I'll make a great soccer player. I'm convinced that my parents were his favorite at the NICU, because they were up to date on all the lingo and procedures, and toward the end were capable of giving a full status report to the residents and med students--which would always freak them out!


Dr. Kovacs, who along with saving me, can also be credited with saving mommy's sanity! His positive outlook and determination were inspiring, and it was he who first told my parents not to give up on me. When things looked the worst and mommy and daddy were getting upsetting news from everyone, he would often come in and simply say, "I wouldn't worry about it, he's a fighter." And sure enough, I would get better! It must have been that Eastern European connection that he and mommy shared.


Dr. Pelausa was the first doctor to take care of me in the NICU. She was my main hook-up when it came to central lines, having performed the procedure on me at least twice. Her smile and laughter were very welcome in the unit, and I think she developed quite the soft spot for me. She still calls me "her little boy," and "Mr. V," a name by which all the new residents and med students know me. Even the newer ones who have never even met me know me as Mr. V. To fully appreciate this nickname, you have to imagine her saying it with her hands in the air in a big "V" shape. Mr. V!!!


Finally, Dr. Ferdinand. Oh poor Dr. Ferdinand! Three times I had major crisis in the NICU, and all three times it happened to be her shift! I think she began to think I had it in for her. Of course, after the third incident, everyone would always laugh nervously when they heard that she was on call. Luckily, three times was plenty enough for everyone! I know that we joke about it, but seriously, she saved my life three times, and for that my family will always be grateful. We'll also remember how she would carefully consider my parent's opinion, and would include them on many of the decisions concerning my care and development. I'm lucky that I will still get to see her often, as she is one of my docs at the follow-up clinic. I think I'll give her an easier time from now on!


AOV

2 comments:

Brad said...

I am glad that you had such a strong andsupportive and team to help you along. It is nice for me to see their pics. You are a lucky boy and I am sure your parents are grateful... :)

B-

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you introduce to us your big helper
And magnificent people that save life to many people…
I salute to them, they made my life much happier – I
Got you in my life and I’m lovin’it
Love you a lot your
Auntie Meli