Monday, November 17, 2008

RECOVERY

Well, phase I of my adventures in hearing-land has been successfully completed. We rolled into the hospital around 6am and got straight to business. Mom and dad's business was to get me registered, my business was to play with toys in the waiting room. Soon enough it was time to get the show on the road. I basically arm-wrestled the anethesiologists when they tried to put me under. Mom tried to warned them... Then there was nothing. The surgery lasted from about 8:30 to 12:30 and it all went without a hitch. Dr. Shramm has done about 500 of these things, so this one was pretty routine. Mom and dad got some unexpected good news when Yves, one of the amazing people in the audiology department and the resident expert in programming the cochlear implant devices, informed them that he ran some preliminary tests and my little brain seems to be responding already! Neat!
Coming out of the anethetic wasn't such an ordeal this time around. Just very very groggy. And super thirsty. Man, I drank so much water that I totally out-peed my diaper. There was so much pee that my diaper said, "OK forget you man, I quit!" and then it leaked all over my pants. Then I downed a huge bowlful of macaroni and cheese--I'm talking about an adult portion here! I hadn't eaten in about 20 hours, so you can excuse a little guy like me. So now I'm off to bed. Mom is staying with me tonight and I'm looking forward to a lot of visitors tomorrow.

Bye!

AOV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aha! Facebook's the reason for the dearth of blog activity. Shoulda' figured. I thought you were just way too busy living' life to keep up the updates any more. Got a word from Oma today, and thought I'd check. Glad to have the details, very glad to hear that signals are being received!
Cheryl for Peter, too, in Dundas.